Sunday, February 10, 2008

"Inside and Out: Each of us is physically unique..."

Yesterday I went to see the Bodies exhibit in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. I planned on going when the exhibit was in Miami but never seemed to get around to it – so when the exhibit re-emerged down at Riverfront, I made sure to go.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect – but having a genuine appreciation for the human body and science, I was excited for the opportunity to see anatomy on its finest and most accurate display.

One of the exhibits that struck me the most was a human body with every single artery and vein preserved - no bones, ligaments, skin, nothing - just vessels. Apparently, the bodies are put into some kind of chemical that dissolves everything except the veins and arteries. The time and effort it must have taken the people who preserve the bodies (preservationists?) is inconceivable. I surely don’t have that kind of patience, so I give kudos to whoever put that one together!

The only part of the whole exhibit that bothered me a little bit was a human body that was just skin - no bones, muscles, or anything...just skin. I don't know why that creeped me out the most, but oh well. Michelle warned me ahead of time that after the exhibit I probably wouldn't want to eat meat for awhile. But Amy, Diane and I ate some chicken nachos at Ugly Tuna right after and it didn't seem to bother any of us.


**************************************************************************


On another note, I went to Benihana's for the first time on Friday night for Diane's birthday. It was reallllly fun and we had an awesome time! Here's a pic of our group and one of the food!









1 comment:

Delta Phi Epsilon Volunteers said...

Thanks for not discussing the rest of the day on your blog... What happens in apartment 8108 stays in apartment 8108... except when our neighbors hear it through the walls!!!