Sunday, February 24, 2008

I can be your hero baby..

It's been a long time since someone has asked me who my heroes are. This morning at church, the pastor posed that question. And to be honest, I didn't really know what I would say if someone asked me to name my heroes.

Isn't it sad that almost 100% of children, when asked who their hero is, name a celebrity or sports star? What about their parents, or the other wonderful people in the world who get no credit for what they're doing for humanity. Most celebrities make a big "splash", but make no real difference. They would rather BE served, than to actually serve others.

Today I learned two things:
1) Real heroes stand alone for what is right.
2) Real heroes make sacrifices for others.


And I got to thinking, when's the last time I did either one of those? What have I stood alone for? What have I done that would even qualify me for hero status?

And secondly, I know that I make sacrifices. But when it comes right down to it, most of those sacrifices are for me. I believe most people only make sacrifices for themselves. They might work an 80 hour week, but it's usually for career growth (for themselves) or for financial gain.

I think that as adults, we decide who we want to become. We can't blame who we are on past mistakes or the way we were raised. Every morning you choose to be the person you are. I'm glad I heard this message today and I think everyone can learn a little bit from it. What I learned is that I need to be a hero for someone else. I have the mental and physical resources, so why not?

So I decided today to join my church in sponsoring a child as part of WorldVision. It's $35 a month, but I figured if I cut out buying one lunch out a week, that'll easily pay for it. If you're searching for something to do that's completely selfless and inspiring, visit the worldvision website at http://www.worldvision.org/. There are SO many children that need sponsors.

It's also a legitimate humanitarian effort. Anthony Evans, an AMAZING Christian artist, who visits our church to sing with our worship team every couple months, became a part of this mission three years ago after a ton of research. He also went to visit the child he sponsored over in Zimbabwe and told the story during the service. It was completely inspiring :) Check out his music at http://www.anthony-evans.com/.

Stay tuned for an update once I get all the information from WorldVision.


"It's not the size of the sacrifice that matters. What matters is the heart that you put into it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Worldvision is an amazing org.! Kudos to you! And great insight on heros, can't say that I've found too many in the news lately either.